There are over 12 million recreational boats registered in America. In 2012, the Coast Guard recorded over 4,500 accidents, 651 deaths and over 3,000 injuries from recreational boating accidents. There was also $38 million in property damage done as a result of these accidents.
The majority of fatal boating accidents involve drowning and approximately 85% of those who drowned in 2012 were not wearing a life jacket. Seventy-five percent of the fatal accidents occurred in boats less than 21 feet long. The most often cited reason for the accidents?
- Operator inexperience
- Excessive speeds
- Operator inattention
- Lookout inattention
- Equipment failure
Open motor boats and personal watercraft were most often the vessel in use at the time of an accident. Operating the boat under the influence of drugs or alcohol was cited in 17% of the deaths.
What steps should you take to make sure your next boating adventure is a safe one?
- Make sure you receive proper training before operating your boat.
- Always carry a Coast Guard approved life vest for each passenger on board.
- Operate your boat responsibly at all times.
- Stay away from areas not safe for your boat.
- Always operate your boat at a safe speed. And once dusk arrives – put the brakes on!
- Comply with all signage. This includes speed limit signs, no-wake zone signs and underwater hazzard warnings, etc .
- Always have a one passenger serve as a lookout to keep an eye out for other boats, objects and swimmers.
- Use great care when approaching a wake. Never jump a wake. When crossing a wake, cross at low speeds and watch for skiers and towables.
- When towing your boat, ALWAYS make sure your trailer is in proper working order and that your trailer lights work. Also ALWAYS make sure that your boat is properly secured to the trailer and that your trailer is properly secured to your vehicle before you move the vehicle.
If you are ever injured while boating in Connecticut, call a qualified Connecticut personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable Connecticut personal injury lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled numerous boating accident cases over our more than 55 years serving the people of Connecticut.
What’s more, our attorneys have received local and national recognition for our handling of accident cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
We have a great team dedicated to boating accident cases. Please contact us if we can help you. The consultation is free and there is no obligation of any kind.