The first half of 2012 saw a sharp rise in fatal car accidents – a 9%increase over the year before. This increase is particularly disappointing given that fatal car accidents since 2005 had declined in the U.S. by 25%.
So what could be the cause for this sudden increase in deadly car accidents?
There are a number of theories about the cause for the jump in the numbers. Let’s examine a few of them:
- An improving economy: Some experts are speculating that the increase in fatal car crashes is tied to an improving economy. As this theory goes – an improving jobs picture has lead to an increase in discretionary spending on entertainment – and more intoxicated drivers.
- More technology means more distracted drivers: Are more drivers than ever driving distracted with cell phones in their hands? While there has been an increase in the number of drivers using smart phones – it is hard to imagine cell phone use alone has lead to an almost 10% jump in fatal car crashes.
- Warmer weather means more motorcycles are on the roads for longer periods of time. This theory could have some validity. Accidents involving motorcycles carry a much greater probability of having a fatal outcome. With abnormally high temperatures across the U.S. in the last 11 months – motorcyclists have had many more opportunities to ride.
- Higher driving speeds: As states relax restrictions on higher speeds (despite the rising fuel costs associated with that behavior) and car technology improves, more and more drivers are tempted to drive at what for many are unreasonable and unsafe speeds. Speed and car accident fatalities often go hand-in-hand.
- Roadways are increasingly in disrepair: The last four years have not been kind to state and local governments. Mired in a deep recession, most states have seen revenues fall and major infrastructure projects postponed or cancelled. As road conditions have worsened – driving conditions have worsened at the same time – leading to more car accidents and more fatal outcomes.
If you or a member of your family are ever the victim of a car accident in Connecticut, it is important to gather all the information you can and then call a qualified Hartford car accident lawyer. A knowledgeable Hartford car accident lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled thousands of car accident cases over our more than 55 years serving the people of Connecticut. Our Hartford car accident lawyers have received local and national recognition for our handling of car accident cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms” and more….. To learn about our other honors and awards, click here.
If you would like a free consultation with a Hartford car accident lawyer, contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind.